The Squash Professionals Affiliate (or SPA) Program provides a range of valuable benefits to squash professionals at no cost, while supporting U.S. SQUASH initiatives to drive growth in the game.
The name for the program is derived from the definition of “affiliate”, which is a group that is closely connected with a larger group, or a person who joins with others to form a group. Used as a verb, it means to bring a group into a close relationship with another.
The SPA Program offers U.S. SQUASH and squash professionals across the country the forum to work collectively, as a group, and as partners, to grow the sport.
The BENEFITS to the Professional of being part of the SPA Program include:
- Eligibility for U.S. SQUASH Membership Incentives
- Discounts on tournament accreditation (sanctioning) fees up to 20%
- On-court performance apparel from U.S. SQUASH
- A Squash Professionals Affiliate recognition certificate
- Discounts up to 50% on Coach Certification Courses offered by U.S. SQUASH
- Eligibility to vote for and be on the Annual Top U.S. Professionals List
- Eligibility for U.S. SQUASH Professional Achievement Award
- Access to a pre-screened, preferred network of health insurance providers
- Personal liability insurance coverage for coaching for an additional fee
- Potential future opportunities include
- Sell U.S. SQUASH merchandise and co-brand in pro shop
- Access to the an online collection of best practices for coaches and pros called U.S. SQUASH “Professional Practices”
DETAILS OF THE PROGRAM – BENEFITS
Eligibility for U.S. SQUASH Membership Incentives
Incentives are paid annually, in July for the prior twelve month period (season). Incentives per club may not exceed $2,500. An individual must be accepted into the program within the first four months of the season in order to receive incentives for the season and the club must be an active Member Club.
The payments to SPAs are paid on an escalated scale, with a higher percent of the national membership fee per member paid to the SPA, with the percent determined based on the number of members per court (any type) as of June 30 according to the following ratios:
• 10+ per court =10%, (Bronze Member Club Status)
• 20+ per court =15%, (Silver Member Club Status)
• 30+ per court =20%, (Gold Member Club Status)
• 50+ per court =30%. (Platinum Member Club Status)
Clubs with fewer than 10 members per court do not receive incentives.
In the instance where there is more than one SPA working at the Member Club, the incentives are paid to the Head Squash Professional at the Member Club, and are distributed at the Head Pro’s discretion. All professionals at the Member Club must be part of the SPA program for the incentives to be paid to the Head Squash Professional.
Discounts on tournament accreditation (sanctioning) fees throughout the season up to 20%
A 10% discount on accreditation (sanctioning) fee ($23 for juniors, $3 for adults) is provided to all SPAs provided he or she is the Tournament Director and is a SPA at the time of the tournament.
A 20% discount will be applied to SPAs at clubs with Silver Status and above.
On-court performance apparel from U.S. SQUASH
U.S. SQUASH will provide SPAs with an item of on-court performance apparel to identify the professionals supporting the Association. This will be available in all-white if needed.
A Squash Professionals Affiliate recognition certificate
U.S. SQUASH will provide SPAs a certificate recognizing the professional as an Affiliate.
Discounts up to 50% on Coach Certification Courses offered by U.S. SQUASH
SPAs will be offered up to 50% off the course fees for any certification offered by U.S. SQUASH.
Eligibility to vote for and be on the Annual Top U.S. Professionals List
Each year, U.S. SQUASH will recognize the TOP U.S. Professionals, as selected by the SPAs.
Eligibility for U.S. SQUASH Awards
Each year, U.S. SQUASH will recognize a SPA with the U.S. SQUASH Professional Achievement Award to a deserving SPA.
Access to a pre-screened, preferred network of health insurance providers
U.S. SQUASH has partnered with Northwest Mutual and MLF Insurance to facilitate SPAs’ acquisition of health insurance should his or her employer does not provide it. Since insurance is offered state by state, U.S. SQUASH is unable to provide a single policy for all SPAs to join. However, through MLF Insurance, SPAs will receive first-class service in assessing the SPA’s needs, and referring the SPA to a qualified, pre-screened contact in the appropriate state, to offer a health insurance policy that meets the needs and budget of the SPA.
Personal liability insurance coverage for coaching
SPAs may obtain General Liability Insurance coverage for limited coaching activity. A National background check must be passed to qualify and fees apply.
POTENTIAL FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES
Sell U.S. SQUASH merchandise and co-brand in pro shop
U.S. SQUASH will partner with SPAs to enable the purchase of U.S. SQUASH branded apparel and merchandise at wholesale cost for re-sale in pro shops. U.S. SQUASH will also allow SPAs to develop co-branded U.S. SQUASH/Member Club merchandise to sell in the pro shop.
Best practices for coaches and pros called U.S. SQUASH “Professional Practices”
Access to extensive documentation on best practices viewable only to SPAs. The content will cover the areas of Contract & Employment Negotiation, Tournament Organization & Management, League & Ladder Organization, Middle and High School Programs, Partnering with Junior Parents, College Recruiting, Compliance & Coaching, Managing Pro Shops, Sponsorship Sales, Working with Industry Manufacturers, Exhibitions & Clinics, and Using Technology.
- Maintain a current U.S. SQUASH membership
- Be a part-time professional at a Member Club/Facility
- Commit to taking and passing the Level 1 U.S. SQUASH Certified Coach Course, or appropriate equivalent, within three (3) years of signed application date
- Pass a national background check (for insurance only)
- Application Form
- Verification of Club Relationship letter
- Program Agreement
How to Apply
- Submit a completed application packet to:
U.S. SQUASH – SPA Program
555 Eighth Avenue, Suite 1102
New York, NY 10018-4311
- Join or renew your U.S. SQUASH membership
To obtain an application emailed to you, call 212.268.4090 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
DETAILS OF ELIGIBILITY
Be a part-time professional at Member Club/Facility
At a minimum, work 10 hours at the Member Club/Facility and provide a signed Verification of Club Relationship letter as part of application.
Commit to taking and passing the Level I U.S. SQUASH Certified Coach Course
Be a currently certified Level 1 Coach within the U.S.; or provide proof of equivalent certification from another country with a WSF approved program; or commit to taking within three (3) years of signed application, the Level 1 Course or appropriate equivalent as determined by U.S. SQUASH.
Display U.S. SQUASH promotional materials in squash facility
U.S. SQUASH will begin to send promotional flyers and posters to SPAs via email and mail. The materials will range in topics from promotion of national championships and leagues, to more generic information on membership and how to start playing squash. The materials are intended to help SPAs increase their business, and U.S. SQUASH promote its programs.
Host a Club Championship annually
During the season, between January and April, a Club Championship for the appropriate levels (Skill and or Age) at the Member Club must be run. No accreditation (sanctioning) fee will be charged for the Championship, though the results must be reported via the U.S. SQUASH tournament module. These tournaments will provide the first step in a state and regional sequence of qualification for U.S. Championships over time. Beginning, or maintaining, a history of these Championships is a first step towards building out this structure.
To obtain insurance, pass a National background check and pay fee. For more details call 212.268.4090 or email email@example.com.
SPA Program Policies
SPAs must comply with, and enforce compliance with all U.S. SQUASH competition policies for accredited (sanctioned) events. This specifically includes the mandatory Protective Eyewear Policy for all accredited (sanctioned) play including Tournaments, Leagues and Ladders.
The SPA Agreement must be signed annually to ensure awareness and comprehension of updated policies, requirements and terms.
SPA Program Values
The Squash Professionals Affiliate (SPA) Statement of Values
INTEGRITY – SPAs act with integrity and honesty. These qualities are essential in providing a basis for trust and go to the core of what is expected from business professionals.Many of these concepts are from The Charles H. Lundquist College of Business Code of Professional Business Conduct. These values are as important within our professional community as well as the squash community. They help define both how we aspire to act and what it means to be a business professional. The SPA Values include:
- RESPECT – SPAs convey respect for the dignity of all people. SPA relationships are based on mutual respect. Differences of opinion are discussed openly and civilly. These discussions focus on issues and are presented in a courteous manner. We are sensitive to the impacts of both our words and actions on others.
- OPENNESS – SPAs encourage all members of our community to exchange information and ideas freely within the bounds of reasonable behavior. We recognize that learning requires an open environment.
- RESPONSIBILITY – SPAs act publicly and accept responsibility for our actions. We understand that the squash community will keep us accountable for our dealings. We deliver on the commitments and promises we make to others.
- TEAMWORK – Our partnership is stronger when we work as a team. We foster attitudes encouraging members of the community to give and receive constructive criticism, and develop creative solutions to challenges.
SPA Program Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct for the Squash Professionals Affiliate
These concepts are borrowed from a position paper from the National Association for Sport and Physical Education. National Association for Sport and Physical Education. (1999). Sport and physical education practitioners, including Squash Professionals Affilliates (SPAs), value sport and physical activity’s contribution to overall human development. The SPA Program’s Code of Conduct serves as a guide for the study and application of being a squash professional. It is an indication of acceptance of responsibility for ethical practice as a squash professional, and provides a framework for the resolution of ethical dilemmas. Squash Professionals Affiliates:
- Maintain their professional and personal standing through the highest standards of ethical behavior;
- Productively discuss and communicate with others what collective knowledge, and which shared practices, best embody the importance of sport and physical education to overall human welfare;
- Provide appropriate service to relevant squash organizations that promote the value and importance of sport and physical education’s contribution to overall human welfare;
- Interact with U.S. SQUASH with courtesy, professionalism and respect, and resolve conflicts with the Association directly, not publicly, and with diplomacy, an open mind and an understanding of the value close partnership provides to the service of the sport;
- Strive to achieve and maintain accepted standards of excellence in sport and physical education;
- Attain relevant qualifications and experiences necessary to carry out professional duties and obligations with competence, honor, and integrity;
- Seek out and implement, appropriate instructional methods that reflect best practice in teaching physical education and coaching sport.
Baker, David Ray
Hamza, Ahmed Maged
Khan, Asad Riaz
Thorpe Clark, Craig