Job Description – Khelshala Program Director
Organization and Position Description:
Founded in Chandigarh in 2009, Khelshala is an after school program run in conjunction with the Chandigarh public schools schedule. By introducing a lifetime sport it transforms the lives of underprivileged and underserved children, cultivating in them a passion for living through hard work and dedication. The program currently serves over 50 students in 3rd – 12th grade and provides mentorship and guidance to those who go onto vocational career training or university. Khelshala aims to be a leader in the movement to leverage sport to achieve social change in India. It is currently in the process of expanding its operations in order to increase enrollment and thereby broaden its impact in the community at large
The position reports to the Trustee/CEO and plays a critical role in leading staff, students, families, volunteers, and aligning Khelshala culture and outcomes across all programming.
- Lead, motivate and manage staff, volunteers, interns and social worker(s) involved in any way whatsoever with Khelshala.
- Plan, budget, and coordinate all aspects of school year and annual programming
- Create and maintain a structured, disciplined and inspiring staff, student and volunteer culture
- Evaluate and improve current Khelshala academic & well-being curriculum
- Evaluate and implement measurement systems to assess and demonstrate program effectiveness
- Work with Program Chair/Committee to inform, educate, and update the Advisory Board and the Governing Body of all matters pertaining to upholding the mission and values as set.
- Collaborate with the Squash/Tennis Director(s) to align the rackets & athletic programming with academic and well-being programming.
Qualifications and Qualities:
- Candidates should possess proven leadership skills and the ability to motivate teams; impeccable attention to detail & work ethic; self-motivation & the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Candidates should possess a majority of the following qualifications: At least 2 years of experience working with youth and their families from underserved and underrepresented communities; teaching and/or non-profit experience; program management experience; a graduate degree in HR or liberal arts.
- English – strong reading, writing and speaking competency with good interpersonal and telephonic communication skills.
Computer – MS Office capable of running and managing office related functions such as maintain, update and devise contact information of suppliers, contractors, employees, volunteers, donors and Friends lists.
Web design – HTML & JAVA script knowledge for updating website and other basic design work as needed.
General working week is Monday through Saturday – timings to be discussed. A conscientious and engaged Program Director can expect hours that extend beyond the scheduled workday.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Term: Two years minimum
Location: Ideally the candidate will spend 9 months of the year in Chandigarh, India developing the Khelshala program and the remaining 3 months in USA helping with the US chapter (Khelshala Inc). Possibility for accommodation also available as per need.