Company: Kids On Point
Position: Full-time Squash Director Location: Charleston, SC
Start Date: June/July 2020
Salary: Compensate with experience- health benefits included
For 10 years, Kids On Point has offered free year-round support for under-served youth throughout the Charleston community. Our goal is simple: to transform young people’s lives by immersing them throughout elementary, middle, and high school in a program of squash, academics, mentoring, and service to others.
Kids On Point’s holistic model prepares under-resourced children to succeed in school and life. Our program harnesses academic support, athletics, mentoring and service learning as vehicles to build skills – such as communication, life-skill development, and initiative – essential to future academic and professional success. We strengthen bodies and minds alongside strengthen relationships critical for the communities we serve, namely between teachers, students, families, and community supporters. Since 2010, Kids On Point, in a partnership with the College of Charleston, has provided our students with academic tutoring, enrichment activities, and mentors. Students participate in daily fitness activities, primarily through instruction in the sport of squash. Students learn about healthy eating and active lifestyles. Wellness also means having self-esteem and healthy friendships. Mentors are trained to help students develop their social and emotional skills so that they may grow into confident adults.
Children stay in our program from grades 3-12, with benefits that deepen over the years. What is unique about our programming is that we dedicate 12 years of service to each of our students, 400 direct service hours each year, and 6 weeks of summer learning.
Our year-round programming is focused on alleviating the resource disparity that low-income and under-served students experience by operating in the following areas:
-After-school programming 5 days a week, where students are given healthy after- school meals and participate in dedicated homework completion time with one-on- one tutoring available;
-A 6-week academic and enrichment summer experience to address the “summer slide”; research indicates that low-income students fall two months behind peers from higher-income families in academic skills every summer;
-Year-round college and career counseling for 8th-12th grade students from certified college counselors;
-Enrichment field trips locally and around the country in order to expose students to new ideas, cultures, and people that they may not encounter in their schools or neighborhoods;
-8 family outreach events to connect families with resources and information relevant to supporting their students’ success. (Parents must attend 5 meetings per year).
The Squash Director position is a unique opportunity for a highly qualified person with squash playing/coaching experience and the passion, character and personality to effectively guide and mentor young people from under-resourced communities.
Primary responsibility is to deliver a year-round squash, health and fitness curriculum to a cohort of 60+ students in grades 3-12. Individual will report to the Executive Director, collaborate with the full-time program staff in squash and academics, and manage part-time coaches, volunteers and partners. Kids On Point utilizes 5 squash courts at the College of Charleston’s Johnson Center.
Candidates must have proven leadership, organizational, communication, presentation, writing, analytic and interpersonal skills.
Typical weekly employment hours: Monday-Thursday 10:00am-7:00pm, and either Friday 9:00am-3:00pm or Saturday 9:00am-12:00pm, plus assistance with additional weekend/evening events as needed.
- Lead daily squash and fitness practice sessions with primary focus on group instruction, fitness, nutrition and behavior.
- Plan and facilitate Saturday practices.
- Manage the College of Charleston Club Squash Team.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with partner schools, parents, and students.
- Recruit local players to serve as daily volunteer instructors; collaborate with program staff and volunteers to ensure a fully integrated squash curriculum.
- Help recruit, track and maintain Kids On Point participants.
- Design, implement and manage squash program calendar, including team and tournament competition.
- Communicate and meet with school district coaches, teachers, counselors and administrators.
- Communicate and meet with parents/guardians to monitor student performance.
- Manage US Squash profiles for each student.
- Manage and coordinate student activities with the Squash and Education Alliance (SEA).
- Design weekly lesson plans and instruction for part-time squash coaches.
- Manage student participation in local and national tournaments.
- Manage squash, health and fitness equipment and uniforms.
- Prepare squash, health and fitness program reports.
- Manage summer camp participation that is squash and fitness related.
- Manage relationships with local and national squash partners.
- Knowledge in the game of squash.
- Strong desire to work with children.
- Experience in working with/maintaining relationships with families.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Must be an experienced driver with valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Must pass a state and federal criminal background screening and have a clean driving record.
- Must be physically capable of standing/sitting/moving for extended periods of time and tasks (lifting, exercising, coaching, tutoring, driving, etc.).
Professional and Personal Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google documents.
The ideal candidate will be a high-energy, creative, hard-working self-starter with strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Most importantly, candidates must have a passion for working with youth in the city, and a belief that all children can learn and grow if given the proper guidance and support.
Candidates are to email cover letter, resume and 3 professional references (please provide full name, phone #, institution name and relationship to candidate) to: Mrs. Lauren Herterich, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kids On Point is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.