Coach Job Description
Experience: Coaching experience at college, high school or club level. National Governing Body credentials preferred.
The Role: The Coach must first and foremost be a positive Jewish role model who enjoys being with, and providing guidance to athletes. A Coach should possess mastery of his/her respective sport; have an established, successful methodology and be able to assess athlete skill levels, address areas of improvement and establish individual goals for athletes. A Coach should motivate, be patient, compassionate, and approachable, serving as a mentor for all athletes. A Coach should always display ethical behavior on and off the field of play. A Coach should have a clear understanding of the mission and vision of Maccabi USA.
Additionally, it is the expectation that a Coach will see themselves as a member of the greater Maccabi USA Team community who will actively participate in social, cultural and educational activities beyond athletic coaching responsibilities. A coach should have strong team-building skills, foster a sense of belonging for all team members, and role model and reinforce strong interpersonal skills. A coach should also ensure that all athletes have an opportunity to further their athletic, social and cultural development. It is essential in this role that every athlete connects with their peers socially, and grows towards his or her potential. As situations do arise, coaches must have the ability to adjust plans accordingly and maintain a level of flexibility.
Coaches are responsible for knowing the whereabouts of team members at all times.
* Care for the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of each athlete
*Fully participate in Jewish identity building of aspects of athlete experience, including, but not limited to Israel Connect
* Conduct athlete evaluations and assist athletes in setting individual goals
* Assist with coordination and facilitation of tryouts
* Make recommendations for selection in coordination with the chairperson and selections committee
* Provide encouragement and positive, constructive feedback to athletes
* Facilitate team practices on site throughout the Games experience
* Partner with Team Managers in the day to day supervision of athletes
* Attend technical meetings prior to competition
* Establish relationships and maintain regular communication with selected players
* Work with tournament organizers as it relates to seeding and tournament format
* Be familiar with the nuances of international rules
* Responsible for all elements of competition day including pre-game, coaching in-game, and post-game
* Advocate for players in case of conflicts
* Each coach must be housed in the same accommodation center with his/her team (double occupancy rooms only), must share in the responsibility of supervising the team, and must stay onsite throughout the entirety of the Games
* Set clear expectations for athlete behavior, actively enforce the code of conduct, report infractions and impose consequences as necessary
* Participate in pre-trip training sessions, conference calls and meetings as necessary
* Commitment and responsibility to oversee a team of athletes for three weeks in Israel (July 13-August 3, 2021; subject to change)
* Participating in our Israel Connect program one week prior to competition with cultural, educational and meaningful touring opportunities with facilitated conversations
* International flight to and from Israel included
* Meals, lodging and transportation while on the ground
* Games registration
* Medical insurance
* Maccabi USA apparel as well as team uniform apparel package
* Opportunity to walk in Opening Ceremony
* Additional touring opportunities with team when not competing
* Exploring your Jewish identity
* Memories and friends that last a lifetime
* Cost: $3,000 ‘tax-deductible’ payment to Maccabi USA
Visit maccabiusa.com for job info and to apply.
Download a Coach Job Advertisement flyer here.