Spence 412 Squash Center
Associate Director of Squash
Spence School, an all girls K-12 independent school in New York, NY seeks an Associate Director of Squash to help manage, oversee, and grow its multi-faceted squash program based out of the school’s new 9 court facility at 412 East 90th Street slated to open August, 2020. This is a full time 12-month position. In addition to managing the usage of the new squash courts by external providers, The Associate Director of Squash will be responsible for the continuing development of the squash program in the Middle and Upper Schools as well as assist in designing and implementing programs and opportunities for Lower School students.
The purpose of the squash program at Spence 412 is:
Running exceptional school team programs, in conjunction with the established tradition of excellence of Spence Athletics. Balancing our school team program with individual squash programs, Spence community programs and outreach, as well as external rentals, the Spence 412 Squash Center will serve as the epicenter for the sport of squash.
This position will develop, promote, and supervise squash programs for adults and children of all ages including Spence LS, MS, and US after-school classes and teams as well as additional community member-based programs.
- Serve as Head Coach to either the MS or JV Squash Team
- Assist in hiring additional coaches for the Middle School and Varsity teams as needed
- Assist in running special events
- Assist in coaching and running all rentals and community programs for Spence families of all ages
- Coach Middle and Lower School “Instructional Squash” programs in the fall and spring
- Develop and implement summer and holiday camps/clinics
- Attend all practices and matches
- Assist student-athletes in their overall, “school experience” and work closely with advisors, deans, divisional heads, and college counselors
- Play an active role in hosting 1-3 US Junior squash tournaments on campus per year
- Demonstrates cultural competency and skills engaging with and learning from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Supports Spence’s commitment to equity
- Previous experience building a squash program by establishing consistent philosophies and teaching methods for all teams and coaches
- Mastery of tactical concepts appropriate for competitive high school play
- Previous experience organizing and directing out-of-season training programs, camps and clinics
- Promote a positive attitude, academic achievement and personal growth for all student-athletes
- Outstanding organizational, motivational, and communication skills
- Ability to effectively work with students, staff, administration, and parents
- Ability to work in conjunction with Athletic Trainer to ensure that student-athletes receive proper medical and physical training services
- Ability to maintain and consistently exemplify the highest standards of professionalism, leadership, sportsmanship and respect
- CPR/First Aid Certification
The Associate Director of Squash reports directly to the Director of Squash on the strategic mission, community programming, and day to day management of the Spence 412 Squash Center.
Spence is committed to an equitable program and a diverse faculty and student body. We therefore actively seek candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Applicants should email cover letter and resume as a single file in PDF format—please include the applicant’s name in the file name and three references—to Ben Oliner, Director of Squash at firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls, please) by Monday, February 24th, 2020.