ABOUT SQUASH HAVEN
Founded in 2006, Squash Haven (www.squashhaven.org) empowers New Haven youth to strive for and maintain school success, physical wellness, and engaged citizenship, and to forge a path through higher education to engaged citizenship. The key to Squash Haven’s success is our multi-faceted and intensive approach to youth development.
100 fifth through twelfth grade team members participate in tuition-free year-round programming that includes differentiated individual tutoring, group academic enrichment, squash instruction, community service, values-based character development, exposure to a broad range of enrichment opportunities, and college readiness. 100% of program alumni have been accepted to college, with 78% of them matriculated at colleges and universities ranked in the top 60 including Brown, Hamilton, Haverford, Middlebury, and Yale, among others.
For our students, Squash Haven is a year-round intensive commitment that touches every aspect of their lives; students spend three hours five to six days a week in program activities at and adjacent to Yale’s Payne Whitney Gymnasium. Squash Haven is a 501c3 not-for-profit charitable organization and is an equal opportunity employer.
Squash Haven is seeking an External Affairs and Squash Coordinator to help expand the organization’s impact. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to play a significant role in the operations of a growing non-profit. A successful candidate will work closely with the Executive Director, Program Director, and Squash Directors to support Squash Haven’s excellence in four critical areas: development, communications, academics, and squash programming.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Oversee all fundraising programs: manage initiatives that support cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation, including the annual appeal, securing / maintaining grants, and donor events (currently a large fundraiser totaling $200K+ in revenue).
- Build a strategic communications plan that incorporates social media, quarterly email newsletters, and annual report preparation; propose and implement new ideas to share and celebrate Squash Haven’s growth and impact with key audiences.
- Contribute directly to the program by coaching at weekend squash matches and tournaments, staffing daily homework and study hall sessions, and occasional weekday squash practice coaching; build relationships with students and families to better support them in the program.
- Provide support in other areas as needed, possibly data management, family outreach, and student leadership development as part of a small, close knit, and collaborative team.
Squash Haven offers a high-energy, team-oriented work environment for a staff of seven (three of whom have been with the organization since 2009); the Coordinator can expect intensive training and support to develop professionally and assume significant responsibility. Staff schedules shift slightly between the school year and summer. Other benefits include health insurance coverage and six weeks of paid vacation each year.
WHO YOU MIGHT BE
- A recent graduate who has a few internships under his/her belt, loves playing squash, and wants to gain useful experience in a mission-driven environment.
- An early-career professional who has experience supporting fundraising initiatives and wants to leverage what they’ve learned in a more autonomous, creative setting to grow a non-profit.
- A communications wizard passionate about young people, opportunity, and athletics who is excited by the thought of expanding their professional toolkit in the areas of fundraising and program development.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as soon as possible and not later than June 1st to Julie Greenwood, Squash Haven Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.