Location: Washington, D.C.
Join the dynamic team of Squash On Fire (SOF), a world-class, eight-court squash facility in the West End neighborhood of Washington DC. Our success as an industry leader is sustained by hiring top-notch talent. Our excellent team drives us to be the premier squash facility in the nation by providing our guests with an experience like no other – every day.
Overview of Position
The General Manager (GM) is responsible for building the SOF experience and growing the SOF community at this one-of-a-kind facility. The GM provides remarkable leadership in the areas of customer service, team management, operations and sales. Reporting directly to the Executive Director and serving as her key deputy, the GM will also assist and execute SOF strategic planning and initiatives, helping SOF meet its business and revenue goals and grow the sport of squash in DC and beyond.
(1) Create a Remarkable Customer Experience
- Design and maintain a customer experience that welcomes people new to the sport and delights experienced players, drawing people into the Squash on Fire community
- Provide responsive customer service, constantly responding to customer feedback to drive improvements and new offerings
- Maintain a consistently clean space, friendly service, and rapid and sound response to customer concerns
- Serve customers as a well-informed source of information on squash and all of SOF’s services and products.
- Work with Marketing and Events teams to support promotions and corporate and private events hosted by Squash On Fire and its sister company, Upper West Side Café (located courtside)
(2) Manage our Team
- Create a strong sense of team by fostering a culture of collaboration and communication among our Front Desk, administrative, and coaching teams.
- Oversee a Front Desk and Manager on Duty teams of approximately fifteen (15), including hiring, training, scheduling, and developing growth opportunities
- Communicate training updates, best practices, and implement standard operating procedures to Front Desk team
(3) Run our Space
- Implement, manage, and create standard operating procedures for SOF operations, Front Desk management, and facility maintenance.
- Create and manage a budget and timeline of operational costs; anticipate costs related to normal wear and tear and plan for more extensive maintenance and facility issues
- Serve as lead contact with all outside vendors and contractors to ensure all necessary maintenance and repairs are executed
(4) Sell our Gear
- Oversee proshop inventory and sales, including setting and hitting all key sales goals
- Identify new products to sell, work with Marketing and Design teams on branding new items, and ensure products are displayed in consistent with SOF’s brand and vision
- Participate in cross-promotional efforts; negotiate discounts and develop service/product relationships with outside partners
(5) Be Strategic
- Work directly with Executive Director and ownership team to implement new projects and initiatives to enhance the customer experience, promote the SOF vision, and meet revenue goals
Required Skills and Experience:
- BA. or equivalent from a four-year college
- 5 years + experience in a management role; fitness, hospitality, or retail experience a plus
- Exceptional communication and writing skills
- A proven track record in leading, training and developing a large team of part-time worker
- Business acumen, including knowledge of financial models and budget preparation and management
- Superb knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and evenings
- Preferred: Athletic background as a player, manager, or coach; experience with Vend, Deputy, TIPS certified, AED/CPR/First Aid certified, squash experience a plus.
Squash On Fire Benefits
- Competitive salary and benefits package based on experience
- Free downtown parking
- Employee discount at the Upper West Side Café and Pro Shop
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, or any other basis as is protected by local, state or federal law.