SquashBusters is a 20 year-old sports-based youth development program located on the campus of Northeastern University in Boston, and in Lawrence, MA. SquashBusters combines the sport of squash with academic enrichment/homework tutoring, community service, school counseling and placement, and summer opportunities to enrich and improve the lives of urban youth. SquashBusters has served more than 500 youth since its 1996 launch.
The SquashBusters program has three major goals: to have all of our students: 1. be accepted into, and graduate from college; 2. lead a healthy lifestyle; and 3. develop into individuals with strong character.
SquashBusters currently serves 170 middle and high school students in Boston and Lawrence, and supports program graduates who have continued on to college. SquashBusters students practice at least three days a week throughout the school year and participate in weekend practices, tournaments, and summer opportunities.
The SquashBusters’ Middle School Squash Coordinator will be one of the primary staff members responsible for recruiting, overseeing, and energizing the squash and fitness programming at SquashBusters. The Coordinator will run practices for selected teams in the 6th – 8th grade. In addition to this responsibility, s/he will participate in and lead various program activities as described below. As a member of the program team, s/he will collaborate with other program staff to ensure a fully integrated approach to SquashBusters’ academic, sport, and character development programs. Through these programs, the program staff will challenge, nurture, and hold accountable SquashBusters youth so that they recognize and fulfill their potential.
Responsibilities of Middle School Squash Coordinator:
Squash Coaching & Programming:
• Plan, supervise, and direct intensive weekday afternoon and Saturday squash practices throughout the school year for middle school teams
• Recruit, train, and manage volunteer coaches in teaching of squash and how SquashBusters works with youth – ensure a 4:1 ratio of youth to coaches
• In coordination with squash staff, develop, implement, and update the squash program and best practices
• Develop, implement, and update fitness programming – ensuring it is integrated into squash program
• Schedule and organize tournament play, private school matches, and league competitions
• Coordinate summer squash opportunities for students
• Assist with implementation of program evaluation as it relates to squash & fitness
• Manage athletic equipment inventory, storage, maintenance, and replacement
• Collect and update paperwork for students such as parent contracts, physicals, and program fees
Program Team Responsibilities:
• Collaborate and communicate with SquashBusters staff, families, and community partners
• Recruit, coordinate, and implement summer camp program and broker external summer camp and employment opportunities for students
• Participate in community service projects and field trips as needed
• Drive students to and from their schools to practice as needed, and to and from matches, team trips, community service projects, summer camps, etc.
• We expect all staff at SquashBusters to be communicative with all stakeholders, disciplined and engaged in their work, and open to receiving and giving feedback in order to constantly strive to do excellent work
• Must have a valid driver’s license and willingness/ability to drive students in 15-passenger vans
Position starts August/September
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to: Christopher Lynch at email@example.com