SquashBusters is a 21 year-old sports-based youth development program located on the campus of Northeastern University in Boston, and in Lawrence, MA. SquashBusters combines the sport of squash with academic enrichment/homework tutoring, community service, school counseling and placement, and summer opportunities to enrich and improve the lives of urban youth. SquashBusters has served more than 500 youth since its 1996 launch.
The SquashBusters program has three major goals: to have all of our students: 1. be accepted into, and graduate from college; 2. lead a healthy lifestyle; and 3. develop into individuals with strong character.
SquashBusters currently serves 250 middle and high school students in Boston and Lawrence, and supports program graduates who have continued on to college. SquashBusters students practice at least three days a week throughout the school year and participate in weekend practices, tournaments, and summer opportunities.
The Part-Time Middle School Program Coordinator will work directly with SquashBusters middle school students in a variety of capacities. Qualified candidates will:
- Have a sincere interest and be comfortable building rapport with middle school students from diverse backgrounds
- Be a strong leader in a group setting
- Have a driver’s license (no personal car necessary)
- Be available between the hours of 1:00 and 6:30pm most weekdays and 9:00am-1:00pm some Saturdays (schedule can vary, some flexibility permissible)
- Spanish proficiency a plus
- Prior athletic experience (particularly the sport of Squash) a plus
The Part-Time Middle School Program Coordinator will be one of the primary staff members responsible for working with the SquashBusters 7th and 8th grade teams. This individual will support their academic, social-emotional, and personal development through a holistic approach.
Primary role responsibilities:
- Assist with homework
- Run group activities
- Facilitate community service projects
- Collaborate closely with the two full-time Middle School Program Coordinators
- Assist with occasional age- and stage-appropriate sessions focused on a variety of social-emotional topics
- We expect all staff at SquashBusters to be communicative with all stakeholders, disciplined and engaged in their work, and open to receiving and giving feedback in order to constantly strive to do excellent work
- The expected hours per week for this role is 20 hours
- Compensation is competitive
Interested candidates should send a résumé and cover letter to Charlie Levinson, Program Director, at email@example.com.