Squash Coordinator – Harlem
Salary: Commensurate with experience; full benefits
Education: Bachelors degree
Location: New York, NY
Language: English, Spanish a plus Type: Full Time, minimum two-year commitment required
Start Date: June 25, 2018
About the Position
StreetSquash is seeking a driven, innovative Squash Coordinator with a passion for supporting young people and putting them on the path to achieving their athletic and academic goals. This is a youth development position as well as a great coaching job.
Ideal candidates will have a deep commitment to youth development, significant experience playing squash (at college level or higher), experience coaching squash in a group setting (including effectively speaking to groups of 15 or more), be able to work a flexible schedule, and be sensitive to different cultures and communities. Candidates must also be legally authorized to work in the United States.
StreetSquash aims to help each child realize his or her academic, athletic and personal potential through long-term, rigorous programming in academic support, squash instruction, college prep, and community service activities. Serving Harlem public school students in grades 6-12, StreetSquash boasts a 100% high school graduation and college matriculation rate as well as a college completion rate above 80%. Through high expectations and strong support, we help our students to achieve greatness.
Our team of fun, diverse professionals is committed to building deep relationships with our students and to giving each staff member meaningful responsibility in a cooperative working environment with support for everyone’s ideas. We do our best to foster personal and professional growth, not just in our young people, but in each other as well. StreetSquash is a healthy, growing nonprofit, looking for motivated, enthusiastic individuals to fill integral positions within the organization.
Learn more about us at www.streetsquash.org
This position will report to the Senior Squash Director and will:
- Facilitate daily after-school squash and fitness sessions, including managing volunteers and coaching individual students
- Support students in their athletic, academic, and personal growth through programming and relationship-building
- Work closely with academic staff to meet the needs of assigned teams, including caregiver communication, planning team trips and cultural outings, facilitating team-building and developmental workshops, etc.
- Coordinate matches, tournaments, equipment maintenance, fitness tests, summer squash opportunities and other squash-related programs in conjunction with squash team
- Chaperone students to squash tournaments and matches, as well as other program wide day or overnight trips.
- Network with other organizations, squash clubs and other service providers to refer students and provide opportunities
- Collaborate on program-wide initiatives and projects including organizing community service activities.
- Manage an additional program component, for example, community service, summer opportunities, volunteering and tutoring program, student leadership committee, or peer mentoring
We are seeking candidates with a deep commitment to sport in the context of youth development who are results oriented and have strong collaboration skills. You should have:
- Significant Competitive playing experience (e.g. college squash) and experience coaching squash (preferably with groups, ranging in age from 11 to 18 years old)
- Sensitivity to different cultures, races, and ethnicities
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- Project management, interpersonal, organizational and networking skills critical, including excellent writing, research, and computer skills
- Valid driver’s license preferred and comfort/capacity to occasionally drive 15 passenger vans
- Must be able to regularly work Saturdays and be flexible on weekends
- Experience working with students in an academic capacity a plus
- Sense of humor and significant experience working with adolescents
- Conversational spoken Spanish a plus
Hours: Varies; Monday-Thursday with varied Friday-Sunday schedule
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
StreetSquash is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.