Salary: commensurate with experience; full benefits
Education: Bachelors degree
Location: Newark, NJ
Language: English, Spanish a plus
Type: Full Time, minimum two-year commitment required
Start Date: June 2017
About StreetSquash Newark
StreetSquash Newark aims to help each child realize his or her academic and personal potential through long-term, rigorous programming in academic support, squash instruction, college prep, community service, and leadership development. In September 2017, we will begin serving 78 Newark public school students in grades 7-12. As an organization, StreetSquash boasts a 100% high school graduation and college matriculation rate as well as a college completion rate above 80%. Through high expectations and strong support, we help our students to achieve greatness.
Our team of fun, diverse professionals is committed to building deep relationships with our students and to giving each staff member meaningful responsibility in a cooperative working environment with support for everyone’s ideas. We do our best to foster personal and professional growth, not just in our young people, but in each other as well. StreetSquash is a healthy, growing nonprofit, looking for motivated, enthusiastic individuals to fill integral positions within the organization.
Learn more about us at www.streetsquash.org/newark
About the Position
StreetSquash Newark is seeking a driven, innovative Squash Coordinator with a passion for supporting young people and putting them on the path to achieving their athletic and academic goals. StreetSquash believes in providing opportunities for professional growth and encourages its staff to develop skills in a wide range of program areas, including, but not limited to: curriculum development, grant writing & fundraising, and marketing. This position will begin June 2017 and will report to the Program Director. This position is not just a coaching job!
- Facilitate daily after-school squash and fitness sessions for two grades of 14 students, managing volunteers and coaching individual students
- Work closely with academic director to meet the needs of your teams, including performing home visits, planning team trips and cultural outings, organizing community service activities, facilitating team-building, sex ed activities, etc.
- Coordinate matches, tournaments, equipment maintenance, fitness tests, summer squash opportunities and other squash-related programs in conjunction with squash team
- Network with other organizations, squash clubs and other service providers to refer students and provide opportunities
- Collaborate on program-wide initiatives and projects
- Support students in their athletic, academic, and personal growth through programming and relationship-building
- Significant experience playing and teaching squash
- Excellent writing, research, and computer skills
- Project management, interpersonal, organizational and networking skills critical
- Experience working with students in an academic capacity a plus
- Sensitivity to different cultures and communities with a commitment to youth development
- Sense of humor and significant experience working with adolescents
- Valid drivers license and comfort/capacity to occasionally drive vans
- Must be able to regularly work Saturdays and be flexible on weekends
Hours: Monday-Friday, alternating Fridays and Saturdays
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
StreetSquash is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.