Established in 2012, Urban Squash Cleveland is a youth development organization that combines instruction in the sport of squash, academic support and enrichment opportunities to empower students to reach their potential. Through regular squash practice and competitions, students’ passion for the sport helps them develop healthy habits, endurance, coordination, physical and mental awareness, hard work and discipline. Students also receive homework help, literacy development, ACT & SAT tutoring and college support to help them pursue personally meaningful post-secondary opportunities. Team members participate in community service, field trips, internships, camps and travel to cities and colleges across the country as they form relationships with mentors and volunteers.
Urban Squash Cleveland recently opened the Youth Development Center (YDC), a brand new state of the art facility on the campus of Urban Community School in the vibrant Ohio City neighborhood. The YDC has four squash courts including 3 brand new Court Tech courts and a refurbished all-glass court, along with two classrooms, an office and locker rooms. YDC memberships, lessons, clinics and leagues are available to anyone in the community who wants to play squash.
Urban Squash Cleveland is seeking a self-motivated full-time Squash Coach who is excited to lead a squash program for 50 team members and build a dynamic community squash program at the Youth Development Center. This person should be passionate about ensuring that students are able to realize their academic, athletic and personal potential. The ideal candidate is also motivated to build our community squash program by engaging squash enthusiasts of all levels through lessons, clinics, leagues, camps and tournaments. This person should be eager to work with all members of the USC community to sustain a vibrant squash program. The Squash Coach will report to the Program Director and the Executive Director.
- Plan and run USC’s squash sessions and activities, while implementing the organization’s mission and values. Squash sessions consist of group clinics that address technical, tactical and physical aspects of the game. Other squash activities with the team consist of tournaments, team matches, camps and other squash-related events.
- Identify, plan, and create squash and development opportunities for the students of the team.
- Build a strong culture that is aligned with the mission, vision and core values of USC.
- Recruit and retain a large and enthusiastic group of volunteers to assist with programming.
- Communicate regularly with families of team members.
- Plan and attend squash tournaments and trips in collaboration with staff members.
- Collaborate closely with USC’s staff members in any necessary projects, including managing tasks as requested by the Executive Director or the Program Director
- Identify, plan and create opportunities to generate activity and memberships at the Youth Development Center
- Develop and execute community squash activities including lessons, leagues, clinics, camps, tournaments, and drop-ins
- Manage the online court reservation system
- Communicate regularly with members and squash activity participants
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience working with youth is preferred.
- Experience coaching and playing at different levels is preferred.
- Deep belief in the potential of all students.
- Commitment to holding high behavioral and academic expectations for all students.
- Ability to build trusting relationships across lines of difference.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills are critical.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and pass a background check.
Start Date: Summer 2019
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience and skills, plus commission for lessons, clinics, tournaments, leagues, camps, with the additional possibility of running a pro-shop for YDC members in the near future.
If interested in the position, please send your resume to Iago Cornes at email@example.com
Urban Squash Cleveland provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.